Around 1306, a triple-nave basilica was erected on the spot where an older church had stood prior to that.
After 1379, rib vaults were constructed over it, and the belfry and presbytery were added. In the early 15th century, the chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows was built as an extension to the present-day presbytery. The chapel, which includes a Pietà statue, is an example of classic gothic architecture of exceptional quality. The church saw several refurbishments. In the 19th century, its Gothic character was restored. Its present-day appearance dates back to the second half of the 20th century. In 2006 when Celje became the seat of the newly founded diocese, the St. Daniel Church became a cathedral.