The entrance and the walls of the country’s largest medieval castle make you feel like entering a saga of the Counts of Celje. Did you know that Barbara of Celje, daughter of Herman II, Count of Celje, was the highest-ranking crowned head in Slovenian history? Have you ever heard about the fatal love story between Frederick II and Veronica of Desenice, considered to be one of the most passionate and tragic stories in this country’s history?
As a fort at the top of the hill, this largest medieval castle in Slovenia controls all traffic routes to the center of Celje from afar. The first foundations of the Old Castle of Celje date from the second half of the 12th century. The Old Castle of Celje is best known as the home of the Counts of Celje, the country’s most influential dynasty. Memories of the past have been retained through exciting legends, exhibitions and interactive experiences. In the warmer part of the year, “Living History” programmes with cultural and historical associations from all over Slovenia take place every weekend. The castle courtyard is full of life when during the summer Medieval weekend and the Celje Castle Festival, when the stage lights up with guest stars’ performances or the Veronica of Desenice musical.
Although no longer echoing around the castle, the steps and spurs of the great Counts have been awakened by their admirers and re-enactors coming from cultural and historical societies, who proudly welcome visitors to the castle as knights and court ladies. Attracting all those wishing to immerse themselves in the history of the Middle Ages, living history, virtual reality, concerts and weddings making you feel like a real Count or Countess for a moment.
Admission to Old Castle of Celje:
- Adults: EUR 7.00 per person (Part of the entrance fee – EUR 1.00 is a bonus that the visitors can use on the day of their visit at the Café Veronika. The price per ticket is EUR 6/adult.)
- Children (aged 6–15, without the complimentary drink bonus): EUR 2.50
- Children under the age of 5: free admission
- Students (without the complimentary drink bonus): EUR 4.00
- Retirees (without the complimentary drink bonus): EUR 5.00
- Family ticket (2 adults + children): EUR 15.00
A valid document proving the status of a student or a retiree shall be required upon admission to the Castle.
- Old Castle and Regional Museum: EUR 8.00
- Old Castle and Museum of Recent History: EUR 8.00
- Old Castle and Tehnopark Celje: EUR 15.00.