Construction of town walls was started in 1450 and finished in 1473.
The walled-in area had a convex quadrilateral shape. Robust bastions were built on the corners, while the city was protected by several mural towers rising along the walls. On the exterior, the walls were lined by a deep ditch and a rampart. The town could be entered from three sides: through the Castle Gate on the north, the Ljubljana gate in the West, and the Water (or Savinja) Gate in the south. After 1785 when the town hall sold off the walls and the defensive ditches in a public auction, their original appearance started to fade. Some parts of the walls were torn down while others were either integrated or obscured during the construction of houses. The ditches, formerly filled with water, were filled in.
Although most of the walls were integrated into new constructions or obscured, their remains can still be seen along the Savinja riverbank and in Vodnikova Street. Town gates saw similar faith as the rest of the walls. Ljubljana gate was torn down in 1755, the Castle gate in 1804, and the Water Gate next to the Capuchin bridge was destroyed in the mid-19th century (1851).