Celje’s first public monument, the Saint Mary’s column, was erected in 1776 on the spot where the murderer Pretner was executed.
The tall high column on a triangular plinth supports the statue of Virgin Mary. Baroque statues of St. Roch and St. Florian flank the column. In the 19th century, the citizens of Celje added the statue of St. Joseph next to them. Until World War II, the sides of the plinth also bore dedicatory inscriptions from the 19th century in Latin, German, and Slovenian. The latter was removed by the Nazis during occupation. After the restoration of the old city centre, the statue shines again in all its glory.